Tuesday, August 31, 2010

No Videos and iMovie '08 is as Bad as Windows Vista

Doesn't look like I'll be posting those RCT videos anytime soon. After moving past the utter failure of iMovie '08, I tried to upload the unedited, mute video of the Jack Rabbit directly to a post on here. It was supposedly uploading all night long and hadn't finished the job by the next morning, so that clearly wasn't working either. So I tried to upload it to YouTube. That took forever, but it did finally work...except it pulled an iMovie and flipped/mirrored the video too. WTF??



I don't know why all these applications can't seem to handle a simple .mov file, but I have to redirect the bulk of my ire to Apple. You would think that a VIDEO EDITOR would be able to mirror a video without any trouble (especially since it did it on its own when it wasn't supposed to to cause this whole mess in the first place). After some more furious Googling, I found out that older versions of iMovie had such basic video effects. And they removed them for the '08 version...why? Probably to try to force people to buy an even pricier application like Final Cut Pro. Apparently, the fact that iMovie '08 was a substantial downgrade from previous versions caused such an uproar that Apple ever so graciously allowed '08 owners to download iMovie HD 6, '08's superior predecessor, for free. That is, until they released the '09 version and could start charging people for basic functionality again.

My favorite app? Easy: iLoveToRipYouOff.

So I'm SOL. I happened to get my first Mac when the Windows Vista of the iMovie series was out, and I never used it until now. No free rollback for me, and there's no way in hell I'm giving Apple any more money for functionality they screwed me out of.

My irritation with Apple has been steadily mounting for a while, and at this point I'm seriously considering switching back to PC when I have to spring for a new computer again. Same aggravation, less cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment